Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My New "B" and Other Therapeutic Torture

The other day, I was stepped up to a different "B" in therapy.  For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll explain (and, hopefully, provide a visual aide if I can figure out this blogging thing right).

You see, when I started balance therapy, among many of the exercises I have to do, one of them is the "dreaded B."  Basically, you're given a point to look at (in this case a letter "B"), and made to do things that normally evoke a dizzy response while focusing on this damned letter.  For example, moving your head from side to side, or up and down.  The basic "B" looks like this:

I had worked on the simple "B" for a while until I, apparently, mastered it, (got less dizzy while working with it), and then I graduated to this "B":

This "B" was supposed to be torturous, apparently.  When different therapists would see what "B" I was working on, they'd say stuff to me like, "Oh, God, poor you."  Or, "That one makes me dizzy."  But, for some reason, it didn't evoke any more of a response from me than a regular "B."  My guess is because of my crossed eye and my inability to see things 3-D like the rest of you people.  Since it's black-and-white, maybe it's not such a challenge for me?  I don't know...

Anyway, so I had my setback, and I went back to the simple "B" for a little while.  I also was working on some "B's on sticks."  Yep, that is just what is sounds like.  

I had to do some eye exercises and tracking with these lovely letters.  The purpose of these exercises were to try to strengthen my eyes, try to get them to work together, try to increase my peripheral vision and also to desensitize my responses to movement.  I am sure I will be doing lots more of this in visual therapy (I go for an evaluation February 6).

So, I saw my regular therapist on Monday and she re-assessed my progress.  She decided I could "graduate" again to this wonderful "B":

Yes, it's a checkerboard.  This one is supposed to be between a regular "B" and the crazy black-and-white one.  But for me this thing's a killer.  I can barely get through my exercises with it.  Hell, I can barely look at it right now on this screen!  It's that disturbing!

So, I do these lovely eye things in addition to any other physical torture they decide I need to endure that day.  It may be the treadmill or the stationary bike (physical exercise is important to everyone, but for us dizzy's, who tend to shy away from it, it is even more so...the benefits are enormous), standing on a wobbly board, walking around cones, balancing myself on a rocking board, standing on a cushion (simulating uneven surface), walking around while turning my head, throwing a ball, and on and on.  

More days than not, I leave there telling my partner, "they beat me up in there."  But I know it's for a reason.  

I laugh and call it  "therapeutic torture".  I'm trying to stay positive because it's the only way to stay out of the pity pot.  And because I feel I owe it to these therapists, to my partner, and especially to my kids and, yeah, to myself, to keep at this and try to get better.







No comments:

Post a Comment