Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I eat, therefore, I crash...

I guess this shouldn't be as startling as it is.  it just came up so suddenly.

Stacy and I have been eating so well.  as I've been lamenting, I haven't been losing much weight, even though I've pretty drastically changed my diet.  and by drastic, I mean I've all but eliminated anything white or carb-like or starchy from my diet, almost no sugar (a little in the morning in my coffee...I have flavored creamer.  we tried eliminating that, but coffee was just soooo boring!).  I also didn't give up ketchup when I eat hamburgers.

we have substituted whole-wheat pasta when we do eat pasta, but that isn't often.  we also have learned what a portion is.  we had been eating enough for a small village before then.  those days are long gone.

so, now our meals are basically meat and vegetables with salads.  we eat a lot of chicken.  I'm still not hungry much during the day.  when I do eat, it's cottage cheese, sometimes tuna.  you'd think I'd be 90lbs.  you'd think.

anyway, Stacy had decided that the holiday weekend was reason enough for "cheating."  sure, I was in.  I didn't miss "food food" as much as I missed the other contraband she brought into the house -- ice cream.  even though we had pizza one night for dinner (I didn't eat too much of that), I did eat the ice cream three nights in a row.

this morning, I had my first "drop attack" in months.  it came out of the blue.  one minute, I was letting out the dog, and the next, I was on the floor.  it hurt like hell, too, because I fell on top of a planter (square in the middle of my back).  I was holding a cigarette, too, so it was a good thing Stacy came running.  she said I almost burned my face.  no fun.

so, what have I learned from this?  well, I guess that somehow sugar is related to my vertigo, and, more importantly, my drop attacks.  how, I still don't know.  I guess I know what I have to do, sort of.  keep monitoring what I eat.  obviously it's working.  still, I'm not dropping the weight, though, so it's not enough.  and I still get the occasional dizzies.

my guess is that I need to see some kind of endocrinologist.  but not just any endo.  the right one.  someone who actually knows about this stuff.  this is going to be a hard find.  I'm going to bring this to my online support groups and see if anyone knows of anybody.

I feel like a detective.  eventually, I WILL FIND AN ANSWER.


No comments:

Post a Comment