Tuesday, March 6, 2012

strength training and inner strength

so now my balance therapy has branched out.

when I go for my vestibular exercise, I get strength training.  it's way harder than I thought it would be.

I squat, I lift dumbbells, I use weight machines, I do resistance exercises.

I need this stuff.

I'm glad I made the decision to ask for this.  even when I am sore.

I'm also glad I made the decision to do this at the same place where I get my balance therapy, even though the orthopedist told me to go to a facility that specializes in arthritis.

fact is, I get dizzy when I work out.  so we have to deal with that.  the other place may or may not have been equipped for that.  besides, doesn't it make sense to have the same therapist track your progress?  and, since my neurologist is treating both my fibromyalgia and my vestibular dysfunction, he can prescribe as much physical therapy as I need.  not have me running all over the place.

when I'm lucky, I also get heat treatments, too.  I say "lucky" because only one therapist seems to give them to me.  not sure why.  I'm not the kind to ask for stuff like that.  I know I'm the patient, and it's my treatment, so I shouldn't feel that way.  but I do.  I feel that it is a luxury, like someone getting a poolside massage.  stupid, I know.

I feel this way about every aspect of my treatment lately...that I am on an extended vacation.  and I know why.

my girlfriend calls it, "people taking my inventory."  everybody does it.  I'm sick of it.  for example, my 9-year-old ASKING ME WHAT I DO ALL DAY!  (seriously??)

I've already mentioned my mom.  she goes in spurts. I'm just waiting til the next one.

I'm the worst offender, though.  because I know I'm not doing as much as I should.  as much as I want to be doing.  and then other people's criticisms ring in my ears and I'm paralyzed.  a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'm trying to work on it in talk therapy, but, until I come to some conclusion, health-wise, I don't know how far I will come.

it is hard for me to make a life for myself at home.  harder still when I get dizzy doing things that used to make me happy, like dancing, or taking long walks or driving.

I'm trying to push myself to do the things I used to do, because I'm unwilling to give up at 44 years old.  I used to live in a black hole.  I'll be damned if I'm falling back inside of there.

yes, for my kids, always for my kids, but for once, a tiny part of me says for ME, too.  (I can't tell you how my stomach churns when I think it...but I'm trying to believe it, anyway)

so, after I write this, I WILL get off the couch and practice SOMETHING.  some b's.  some squats.  play on the Wii.  I MUST motivate myself to move and, as much as I think I can't, I MUST move my head around.  I KNOW it will make me dizzy.  that is the point.  make myself a little dizzy each day and maybe I will be less dizzy someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment