Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Heal You, Heal Me

Health Activist Prompt:


Superpower Day. If you had a superpower – what would it be? How would you use it?


So, this is one of those topics that people talk about all the time.  And my answer is always the same.

If I had any superpower at all, it would be the power to heal people.

I know that this is not the typical superhero power.  I was all into superheroes when I was a kid.  Spiderman is still my favorite.

But I can't think of one thing to do with super-strength or super-speed or the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

I mean, yeah, I would want to fight crime and all, but crime keeps coming back (isn't that sad?).

But imagine the absolute joy in removing someone's pain and disease forever!

Imagine the delight in knowing their whole life, their family's lives, their friends' lives would be forever healed.

I do.  I'm happy enough when I give my kids or my partner a Tylenol to reduce a fever or a Band-Aid to cover a  cut.

Any amount of suffering that I reduce makes me feel amazing.

To eliminate an illness, to heal a broken bone or quiet a confused mind --

It would be a gift of pure happiness.

Is this a selfish power?  Some might think so.

Don't look so deeply, though.  I don't have such ulterior motives.  It's not a God complex.

Just as I am happy to pass on a smile, a compliment, a hug, an "I love you"

so I'd want to pass this on, too.  To make someone "whole" again.

If I could.  It would be wonderful.



No comments:

Post a Comment