Wednesday, April 25, 2012

pain in the neck and stress

I saw my PT on Monday.

we did strength training along with VOR.  it wasn't easy.  in fact, it was hard.

not all of it.  parts of it.  specifically, the parts where I had to work with weights.  here's what happened:

I was minding my own business, lifting 6 whole pounds up and down over my head repetitively and it was getting harder and harder, but I kept going because I knew I was out of shape and I wanted to just get through the exercises and I didn't want to look like the out-of-shape piece of crap that I am and I felt the wave of dizziness just start to surge over me, but I kept on going and going because I figured if I didn't do something, eventually I was going to end up a big blob and I just wanted to finish and I did.

then I put the dumbells onto the rack and let the dizziness take over.

one of the therapists, Lauren, saw me and asked if I was ok.  I know they have to ask, but I hate when they ask when you are ok when, clearly, you are not ok.  I said not really and sat down fast.  She got Stacy, my therapist.

they got me water and tried to dissect my vertigo attack.  I felt tears come.  I had driven to therapy that day, which was rare, and I didn't want to leave dizzy.  they now thought I was "all worked up about driving" and that was why I got dizzy.  I knew that wasn't the case.  I now was "worked up" about becoming dizzy, but driving there in the first place didn't make me dizzy!!

when I caught my breath, I said to Lauren that the dizziness came after I lifted my hands above my head with the weights, and that this happens at home, too (without weights, obviously).  I also explained that I have neck problems and had gone for an MRI recently (still waiting on results, don't ask!) and sometimes even turning my head will make me dizzy.

she said (surprise, surprise) that neck problems can cause dizziness.  I knew this.  I remember reading this in someone else's blog and then reading more about this online.  here is some information now: cervicogenic dizziness

so after the dizziness passed, for some reason, I felt stupid.  for some reason, I usually feel stupid.  I don't know why.  I have no control over the dizziness.  it is a physical thing.

maybe it is because they (the therapists) talk about anxiety while the dizziness is happening, or right afterward. or they say things like, "open your eyes,"  which, is probably good advice.  it probably makes you less dizzy and makes the attack faster.

and it's not like anxiety is the worst thing in the world to have.  people live with it every day.  it is a common human response to stressful situations.

however

sometimes

it's

not

anxiety

and that aggravates the crap out of me.

it brings me back to a terrible, awful, horrible place in my life that I'd rather never visit again.

well, yeah, now that I've mentioned it, I will say it here, even though I now want to cry just typing it.

I probably will cry before this entry is finished.

a few years ago, I was, well, in a bad way.

in a mental hospital.  people should not be ashamed to say that.  but, society, the way it is, go ahead and judge me.

I was depressed, I was getting help.  anyway...

while I was in the hospital, I was getting these vertigo attacks.  I've been getting them for 11 years on and off, so it stands to reason.

on top of that, I was under tremendous stress (in a mental hospital, away from my family, depressed), AND, I was being pumped full of different medications to try to stabilize my mood.  it's common knowledge that medications can also make someone who is susceptible to being dizzy, dizzier.

well, the thing is, when I would have these attacks, the hospital staff believed I was "acting out."

if anyone has ever seen movies or TV shows about people in mental wards, you know what they do to patients who "act out," right?

I would be yelled at, grabbed, thrown on a bed and pumped with sedatives.  nice, huh?

this continued until I demanded to see a neurologist who whispered to me, "I believe you."  but not before my stay was extended way longer than it should have been.  they thought my "funny walk" was on purpose, too (it was an unsteady gait due to constant vertigo).

so now you know where I'm coming from.

sometimes when people say something is physical, it's physical.

emotional stuff can add to it.  and does, oh boy does it!

I wonder if I am ever going to get to the bottom of everything that is going on with me.

I wonder if there is a bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment