Sunday, April 1, 2012

Time In A Bottle

Health Activist Prompt:

Health Time Capsule. Pretend you’re making a time capsule of you & your health focus that won’t be opened until 2112. What’s in it? What would people think of it when they found it?


For people to get the real picture of what is going on with me, they would definitely have to get some of my lovely "B's."  You know the ones.  B's on sticks, B's on checkerboards.  B's floating on my wall.  If I have to keep looking at the letter B, it would make sense that some B's would go into the capsule to give a sense of what my recovery has been about.

My talking timer would be another good addition to the capsule.  It has been a good way to get me to do my VOR (vestibulo-ocular reflex) exercises.  Having the talking feature is like having a coach.  It counts down the seconds in various intervals, keeping me on track.  So, just when I'm starting to sway, it reminds me, "30 seconds, 10 seconds (it skips 20 for some reason), 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4. 3. 2. 1 and then the obnoxious noise of my choice plays.  What could be more motivating than that? (hey, my world is small!).

I know I'd stick my Mp3 player in there.  Yes, I'm low-tech...no ipod.  Music will get me happy, though, when nothing else can.  And my choice of songs, very telling.  Some directly from my heart.  Some just full of anger so I can scream my frustration away.  Some so very different from the life I have, the life I didn't plan on.

To really give a picture of me, this laptop would have to go in, too.  I don't know how I could have gotten through this without the Internet.  It has provided me with socialization and support, an outlet for my frustration, a means of expression, a way of knowing I am not alone.  Through the 'net I have found out so much about my condition, how to get help.  I learn just about every day.

Pictures of my family would round out my capsule.  My girls and my partner mean everything to me.  My pets, too; they are with me every moment of every day.

I hope that people would see my capsule and first know how much I value my family.  I don't breathe without their oxygen in mind.  My heart beats for them.

Then, I hope they would know how hard I worked at trying to be "normal."  It wasn't easy.  But I am NOT lazy and this IS real and it's been a long, tiring journey.  Maybe putting together some of the pieces to my puzzle, they'd get the whole picture of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment